Saturday, August 2, 2014

A starting point

After months and months of thinking about this blog and yet wavering over how to move forward, I am determined now to start again even if I don't know where I'm going. I think a good place to start, then, is the foundation of my fledgling life philosophy: the two main desires I have for my life.

These two desires, or goals, or aims, are what comes to mind when I imagine what kind of life I want, so that I will be satisfied when I face death one day. Remembering them helps me focus on what is important to me. Making decisions based on them helps me resist social pressures, be myself, and be happy. And they are very simple:

1. I want to enjoy my life.
Life, this planet, this universe are full of beauty and wonder. There is so much to see, hear, taste, experience, and enjoy, and I want to revel in it all. Plus, being happy seems intrinsically preferable to me to being unhappy! So I want to be happy.

2. I want to do good.
As I care about myself, I care about other people and other animals, and wish for them to be happy, to live well, and to be free of suffering. I want to protect the organisms, places, and artworks that make our world beautiful. And I want to contribute to the welfare of others and the protection of what's wonderful as much as I can.

That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment